Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pa-nick attack

You know how some annoying seniors give you a horrible nickname in school or university which just sticks and everyone starts calling you that to the point that many people actually never find out your real name? Well, I found myself in a similar situation recently.

I was at the wedding dinner of a junior from university where I met several other juniors. One of them came over to say hi and introduced his fiancée to me. (I still can't imagine these 'kids I had ragged ten years ago' having fiancées and wives. To me they will always be the clueless bacha party, even though some of them actually have a bacha party of their own.)

He then leaned over and whispered something to her, pointing at me.

"What did you tell her?" I asked rather shamelessly.

"Oh, I just told her that you're the one who had given me the nickname 'Jagga' in university."

Oh gosh! Of course. I remembered it vividly. I'd asked him his name on the first day of ragging and he had told me. "Well, no. Today onwards you're Jagga, ok?" I'd said to him. He couldn't protest. It was Day 1 for him, and I was two years his senior. And he remained Jagga to everyone through all his years of university, many of them totally unaware of his real name.

Oh gosh! How he must have hated me! Jagga?? Sheesh. What was I thinking?? How glad I was that the whole thing was ten years behind us! Ten years is a long time. All was well.

But it's always safe to check.

"But no one calls you Jagga anymore, right? Hehehe..." I asked, grinning nervously.

"Well... actually... everyone still does." He said.

:|



21 comments:

Unknown said...

GOLD!!!

Kanan said...

SILVER!!! :D

aww poor Jagga ;P

A G said...

Bronze?

LOL!

Its true.8 years and the names my seniors gave me are still stuck!

Btw! What did seniors call you ? (curious curious)

Atulaniya said...

:|

i used to hzve this nick at my first office .... its not that bad :P

Porkodi (பொற்கொடி) said...

so what was yours? ;) and what is Jagga anyway?!?!

Nandini said...

Dude this is how I find out that Jagga got married? And that his real name isn't Jagga??

Nandini said...

By the way, sayesha, some of us "bacha party" people even have kids. :P

Sayesha said...

#Sanket,
:)

#Kanan,
I know! :(

#A G,
My seniors didn't have any nickname for me man. In fact, Many of them wouldn't even rag me damnit. Read this: http://sayesha.blogspot.com/2006/01/jai-jharkhand-part-ii.html

#Atulaniya,
I hope Jagga shares the same sentiment!!

#Porkodi,
Didn't have one. As I was telling A G above, read this:
http://sayesha.blogspot.com/2006/01/jai-jharkhand-part-ii.html

#Nandini,
LOL! He's not married yet, just engaged. :)

//his real name isn't Jagga??

*GASP* Please tell me you're kidding and you do know his real name??? :O

//By the way, sayesha, some of us "bacha party" people even have kids. :P

Oh right! :O Let me go back and add that to the post! :D

Nandini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nandini said...

I just thought Jagga's parents wanted him to be a gangster when he grew up! (Kidding, kidding, I know his name. But probably only because his msn id or maybe his comp name was "real-last-nameReal-first-nameJagga".)

Arun said...

We kids in grade school did make others miserable with nicknames :(

Didn't realize how much so, until years later, when meeting a classmate after a long interval, he reminded me of his nickname and literally begged that I not let it slip out. It became clear that the nickname had made his life miserable.

"Be kind" is a lesson I had to learn. :(

How do we know said...

Sheesh!! Jagga!! bhai!!! ye to gunaah hai!!

nits said...

lol... same happened with me...

in fact... some of the teachers also called me with my nickname...

and i got diff nicks in diff place.. school, college, pg and even office...

RB said...

:)

But there are people whose real last name is Jagga. :D

Stone said...

At first I thought he introduced you with your Univ-Nickname! :-)

Arun said...

Bhai, has desipundit gone off the net?

Angelsera said...

hahaha..yup everyone still calls him Jagga! If someone mentions his real name, it takes some clueless looking around to register who it is :)

It was good to see you that day..din get a chance to speak to Viv or say bye to you guys..

Sudeep said...

tumhara nickname kya tha basanti? :P

Jagga koi villain ka naam tha na koi movie mein? Baaki log bolte honge thik hai par uski to-be-wife bhi usko Jagga hi bolti hogi toh :D
Maharashtrians (I am not sure of others) mein shaadi mein ek dusre ka naam bolna padta in a sher kind of style.. lol it will be funny if nicknames are used instead of real ones.

During engg a frnd called up on landline and said ki saurabh bol raha hu, i was like ki kaun saurabh, woh bola arre main saurabh, arre lekin kaun saurabh, then he said his nickname tab samjha ki oh tera asli naam toh saurabh hai na.

oxymoron said...

Jagga ki to aapne life bana di - popularity badh gayi uski to; after being nicknamed Jagga!
On the other hand, you will be well remembered by his fiance coz of the same reason. May be you'll get a special mention in his wedding.
No other nickname stuck with the person for so long.

saket said...

Reminds me of my nickname in college... yuck!!!

~ Lopa said...

In our college days, sometimes when someone has a bit different-cum-funny sounding surname everyone used to call them by that and never by name. Sometimes people even didn't know their first name.
Once everyone went to that guy's place to pick him up and everyone started shouting by his surname.... xyz come out, xyz aabe sale jaldi kar.... and there came his dad in stead of him, and he followed his begging to wait and not to shout as apparently there were 3 with that xyz in his house ;)
and by the way he was not called only by surname but shortened surname ;) and he still is called same ! sigh.