Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A spirited young lady

Xena is now able to read by herself quite well and only seeks assistance for long and complicated words. Also, she has made it her mission in life to read every bit of text she comes across. For example, she was no longer satisfied with us referring to the solution we apply on her ear piercings twice a day as 'ear medicine'. She needed to know what exactly was written on the bottle. So I read it out to her -- 'isopropyl alcohol', wondering if she'd remember the long name.

Recently, she opened her school communication notebook and turned to the last page.

"Mama, what are these words before 'form'?" She asked.

"Medication administration", I read.

"What does that mean?"

"It's a form for parents to fill... to inform the school about any medicine that the child needs."

"And what's the table for?"

"It's to write the name of the medicines and how many times the child needs to take it."

"Oh Mama," she chided, "You need to fill this form then!"

"I do?"

"Yes. You need to write - ALCOHOL. TWO TIMES A DAY."



5 comments:

Nidhi said...

Well given her mom runs a popular bar, this had to happen sooner than later!
~silent reader for many years

mad hatter said...

I nearly choked on my chai! And you were worried about Xena calling her coach a monkey :-D Picking up from Nidhi's comment... are you sure you have enough "barrels in the basement"?

How cool, though, for the letters to finally start making up words :)

Prathima said...

I thought she was being trained to become junior bartender. Yeh toh bewdi ban-ne chali 😁

Arun said...

I remember a great joy from when I learned how to read. I suppose and hope Xena is feeling much the same :)

Prithi Shetty said...

Nidhi's comment is Gold.

:D :D